2008年6月16日 星期一

Super detailing a pair of low cost plastic locomotives in HO - a kitbashing project for beginners






Some time ago, I bought a pair of locomotives in HO scale from a hobby shop in Shumshuipo. They cost me some HKD300 only. For many serious modelers, that was just sufficient to order some parts for their valuable models.

The models I purchased were a pair of GP50 high hood diesel locomotives ready-to-run and factory painted. Their road names were the Norfolk Southern and the Southern Railway respectively. I decided to keep the original factory paint without repainting them entirely to save my time and painting cost. The reason I bought them was to give myself a try to see if I could turn some toy-like models into convincing ones. Hopefully some of the beginners to this hobby e.g. students would consider starting their first kitbashing projects with similar affordable models.

The stock models were indeed pretty simple in appearance without a lot of body details but they were featured with headlights, fly-wheels as well as reasonable drive so they were potential for kitbashing, I personally think. Here I am not going to talk too much about their running performance because I did not intend to do anything with their existing mechanism.

To improve their appearance, I used as many commercial detail parts as possible. First of all, I started with their pilots that I think they were the most unrealistic areas of all. There was actually just a big opening on each end. I measured the openings carefully and cut pilot filler plates with styrene sheets to fill up the openings. Then I painted them same color as their original pilots. Since the colors of both locomotives were black so it was not difficult for me to match them up. I let the paint dry for overnight and then I added details parts on their pilots including uncoupling bars with brackets, snow plows, m.u. cables and air-hoses. I replaced the stock horn-hook couplers with knuckle couplers. With these pilot details added on, the models seemed to be given a new life. They looked completely different from that moment.

However, I decided to go further with more additional detail parts. For the trucks, I formed the brake pipes with wires and attached them between each pair of brake cylinders. I also added sand pipes which were made from fine styrene rods. Next I installed speed recorders as well. Additional pipes e.g. over-flow pipes, air-tank pipes, etc. were also added around the fuel tanks.
I installed firecracker type antennas and lift rings on their roofs. Attaching wind deflectors and sunshades to the windows was also an improvement to their look so I did it. Then grab irons were added on hood ends (note I did not remove those molding grab irons for convenience, you may want to file them away before adding separate ones). Thereafter I applied decals of diesel locomotive data, builder’s plate and number board with the help of a few prototype photos because most of the NS and Southern’s diesel units did carry these safety labels on their long hoods. Next I attached some walkway lights along the hoods too.

Finally I brush painted all the add-ons black and the handrails on each side of the steps yellow according to the real locomotives. As usual, I applied a clear overcoat to protect all the decals added. I decided to weather the Southern unit because I wanted to compare the result between them. There is no rule for how much you should weather your models. Weathering is actually subjective to meet your personal favorite.

I did enjoy myself during the process of kitbashing. With the new dress, that two GP50s, inexpensive but convincing, were ready to go to work then.

I hope you find the materials interesting. Happy model railroading !

阿 Lam

沒有留言: